YEJ offers specialist consultancy services to NGOs working in the field of economic development and social justice for women and young people, with a particular focus on strengthening civil society groups. We help organizations through development and change processes and programme initiation and development.
Capacity building and skills transfer is the most important aspect of any YEJ consultancy. YEJ staff do not come into a project, write a report and then leave. Our consultants always focus on coaching and on-the-job training of local staff as part of their assignments.
YEJ provides short-term desk and field consultancies in the following areas:
Structure and governance
- NGO registration
- Business plan development
- Establishment or audit of systems and procedures (including HR, financial and administration systems)
- Strategic planning
- Project cycle management
- Alliance building
Learning and development
- Knowledge management systems
- Training design
- Facilitation of experiential learning
Research, monitoring and evaluation
- Baseline research
- Monitoring and evaluation frameworks
- Data collection systems
Communication and advocacy
- Advocacy and networking strategies
- Material development and editorial support (print and online)
- Proposal and report writing
YEJ staff understand the importance of participatory methodologies, mainstreaming gender and a rights-based approach to programming. Central to our work is a focus on knowledge management and effective communication and the role these play in programme sustainability.
Individual areas of staff expertise include: youth development, community-based education, basic education, HIV and AIDS, community development, primary healthcare, water and sanitation, policy change and multisectoral approaches